The United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases has conducted research to develop medical solutions to protect the nation’s military service members from biological threats since its inception in 1969. The USAMRIID Replacement Facility is a state-of-the-art research facility for the testing of infectious diseases and creating treatments and antibiotics to combat them.
The new building consists of west and east sections separated by a multi-floor atrium. The 835,390 square foot building includes laboratories; aerobiology, vivarium, and administrative space; and other facilities to support the research mission of USAMRIID. The building has two 1500 gpm fire pumps contained in a freestanding pump house located adjacent to the building. There are multiple standpipes throughout the building feeding multiple zones per floor. The building contains a Biosafety Level 4 laboratory area on the second floor, which is totally encased with concrete. Within these BSL-4 areas, the fire protection systems are made from stainless steel piping, with each area served by separate backflow preventers. This building also contains two floors that will house Biosafety Level 3 laboratories.