Prior to 1935, the federal government had no singular place or administrator to centrally manage its historically important documents. The early twentieth century effort to consolidate federal documents led to congressional authorization for a national archive building in 1926. Befitting its status as the “temple of our history” and “an expression of the American soul,” the building was designed by John Russell Pope in the neoclassical style prominent in Washington, DC, with other prominent examples including the Capitol, the Supreme Court, and the White House.
This project was a construction contract (plans & specs) for renovations to the National Archives & Records Administration Main Building in Washington, DC. The building remained fully occupied by NARA staff and visitors during the length of the project. NFP was also responsible for retaining the building’s architectural finish and aesthetics during installation. The fire protection scope of work included the installation of a fire protection standpipe system, wet-pipe sprinkler systems, dry-pipe sprinkler systems, an electric fire pump system, and a diesel fire pump system. FM-200 Clean Agent Suppression Systems were installed in the chamber in which the nation’s most prominent documents, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights, are displayed and in other sensitive archival areas.